Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Weekend Eats


So, this weekend I ventured out to two restaurants: SEA in Willimsburg, Brooklyn and Sugarcane in North Flatbush, Brooklyn. It was my first time at SEA in Brooklyn. I visited the original location in the East Village, SEA Bistro, almost three years ago and was not impressed with the service or cramped quarters but it did spark my love for Thai food so, thank you SEA Bistro! Well, it just so happened that the service in Williamsburg was just also not up to par. I ordered what I typically order when I'm hungry and don't feel like any surprises, Pad Woon Sen - vermicelli with mushroom, eggs, bean sprouts, onion, scallion and carrots. I adore this dish and was so disappointed when my order arrived so sweet that I couldn't stand to eat it. I would return to SEA to check out the lounge and bar scene, however, I would eat before I go.
Sugarcane, on the other hand, is always a favorite of mine. However, on this particular night, the food was disappointing. I ordered the Jambalasi Buttered Shrimp - shrimp sauteed chandon bennie, butter, garlic and ginger; with a side of callaloo and macaroni pie (pictured). I found the shimp salty and the spice mixure overwhelming. I mean, it was literally all over the place. I ended up creating a spice pile on the side of my plate. The Mojo Jerk Chicken Wings and Trinidad Chinese Wings were average but the crowd pleaser was and always will be the Callaloo. As a $4.00 side it's the best thing on the menu. If I could get a gallon to go, I would eat it all week long. The creaminess of the dish combined with the welcomed heat of, what possibly may be, scotch bonnet peppers, is a match made in heaven. Can't wait to go back for the Callaloo. I wonder if they deliver...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sugarcane was disappointing...i've had better ribs elsewhere.

wizzy said...

I enjoyed the apetizers, but the Long Island Ice Tea...a lot to be desired. The food was too sweet.The service sucked, our waitress had an attitude. However, I will go again for more apetizers.

chocolate said...

I absolutely loved my meal. i ahd the spring rolls as my appetizer and the dark sea salmon. the service did leave much to be desired but the restaurants layout and decor were really trendy. i don't like thai food and really enjoyed my meal. will definelty go back.